Happy Friday, mes amis! I hope your week has been delicious. In the spirit of the weekend, here’s a little list of my favorite recent bites:
1. Artichoke pizza at Pizza Chic (photo above) — A golden crust spread with savory artichoke purée and topped with a bitter arugula salad and parmesan shavings. Miam!
2. Financiers — Tiny, moist almond cakes baked in the shape of a gold bar, available from a pâtisserie near you. Perfect for goûter.
3. Chocolat chaud from Jean-Paul Hévin — Voted number one in town by Le Figaro, the “tradition” is a deep, luscious blend that achieves a perfect balance between bitter and sweet. Enjoy it over cake and gossip in the salon du chocolat upstairs from the shop.
4. Jambon de Pays Basque — I liked my dinner at Les Papilles, but I LOVED the ham that preceded it. The paper thin slices had an impossibly deep, rich, sweet-savory, umami-esque flavor that I’ve never encountered elsewhere. (Seriously — if I’m using a poncy word like umami, you know it had to be good.)
5. Andouillette de Troyes — Okay, maybe delicious is a stretch. But I couldn’t visit Troyes and not taste its famous tripe sausage. And, really, the flavor was quite inoffensive, akin to bologna. Just don’t get me started on the texture…
Bon weekend, mes amis! What was your favorite bite of the week?
13 rue de Mézières, 6e
tel: 01 45 48 30 38
231 rue Saint-Honoré, 1er
tel: 01 55 35 35 96
30 rue Guy Lussac, 5e
tel: 01 43 25 20 79